Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Reading Is My Treasure

One of Houston’s very own 7th graders, Diona Punch was having trouble reading after she lost her glasses. One of her biggest passions in her life, reading, had been taken away from her when she wasn’t able to see the words on the page anymore. We helped her get a new pair of glasses in October 2012, restoring her sense of sight and her love for reading. Her’s what Diona had to say: 

“My name is Diona Punch, and I love to read! I’m in the 7th grade and reading is my treasure. There probably isn’t a time when I’m not reading except for when I’m asleep or during P.E. at school. Whenever my mom calls me to do chores, I always show up with a book. Right now I’m reading four books. I have a list of books I want to read. I have probably read about half of the books in my school’s library. I even go to the public library to check out books. Whenever we travel in the car, I always take a book. If I don’t have a book to read, I get bored and fall asleep.

About 4 months ago, I lost my glasses and it became a struggle to read. When I tried to read, my eyes became watery, my vision blurred, and my head began to hurt. My mom couldn’t afford to replace my glasses, so I didn’t enjoy reading as much. This made me sad and at times I became truly bored. My mom contacte4d Prevent Blindness Texas and they helped me get new glasses. 

I am so thankful for my new glasses. Now my favorite treasure has been restored. Thank you Prevent Blindness Texas for helping me get new glasses. For it is truly a treasure to be able to read comfortably.”

No comments:

Post a Comment